The Harmonica is among the easiest musical instruments to learn how to play. Many people opt for it as a learning instrument due to its simplicity. With the right product and sufficient time, you can develop your skills to become an expert player.
Big Names in the Harmonica Industry
As such getting the best harmonica in the market is important. There are many great harmonica brands to choose from. Two of the best harmonicas are Lee Oskar and Hohner harmonicas. Below is a detailed and comprehensive Lee Oskar harmonica vs Hohner harmonica comparison.
Lee Oskar Harmonica
The Pros of a Lee Oskar Harmonica
Lee Oskar, the renowned Danish harmonica player, formed Lee Oskar Harmonica to manufacture high-quality. Tombo of Japan manufactures the harmonicas themselves to Oskar’s exacting standards. Lee Oskar harmonicas are suited to numerous styles of music including blues, rock, folk, R&B, country.
Oskar also altered tunings to allow players to venture into other genres including Clave, tango, Reggae, Hip Hop, Ska, Yiddish, Gypsy, Latin, and Eastern European and Asian music. One of the main benefits of a Lee Oskar harmonica is its replacement parts. They allow players to change the reed plates when they become worn out from normal everyday use.
This feature also allows players to mix different tunings. The Lee Oskar harmonica has a simple construction and is competitively priced to match the “beginner” profile. This makes it the best value for money harmonicas out there.
The Perks of Playing This Harmonica Brand
Lee Oskar harmonicas offer one of the easiest and fastest ways to discover expressive new sounds. The variety of tunings makes playing the harmonica much more fun, versatile and spontaneous. Lee Oskar’s altered tuning allows you to play numerous different types of music and discover new musical directions. This harmonica has a consistent tone and the sound is well above average.
Synonymous with rock and country players, Lee Oskar harmonicas have clear, bright sounds that are consistent throughout play. A stand out feature of the Lee Oskar harmonica is the reeds. The spacing is minimal thus reducing the chances of air leaking during play. This feature ensures the smooth sound you seek.
Lee Oskar Harmonica Major DiatonicBuy on Amazon
The Major Diatonic is the traditional, standard harmonica tuning. A Lee Oskar Harmonica Major Diatonic is one of the best choices if you want to play blues, rock, folk, pop, rock, and country music. This harmonica is available in 14 keys.
These keys are A, Ab, B, Bb, C, D, Db, E, Eb, F#, Low F, G, and High G. You may play the Diatonic harmonica in two fundamental music playing positions: 1st and 2nd positions (Straight Harp and Cross Harp). The Lee Oskar Harmonica Major Diatonic has a construct featuring:
- A top cover plate – secured by cover plate bolts and featuring the Lee Oskar logo
- Top reed plate – secured by 3 reed plate bolts
- Comb – with index guides for easier installation)
- Bottom reed plates – Draw Reeds
- Bottom cover plate and nuts
- It has a great projection during play.
- You can easily replace the reed plates. This means that the Lee Oskar Harmonica Major Diatonic will last you a long time.
- It is a great beginner harmonica and is very easy to learn on
- High-quality playability
- Competitive pricing
- The internal comb features a plastic construct as opposed to wood. A wood construct tends to produce a warmer sound.
- The harmonica can go out of tune fast
The Pros of a Hohner Harmonica
Hohner is a market leader and offers a wide range of harmonicas for every music direction. Hohner has the right musical instruments for everyone, whether professional or beginner. Hohner harmonicas are widely popular as a result of the easy response of individual notes in each register as well as the excellent sound.
The unique sound produced by Hohner harmonicas is created by the reeds constructed from high-quality special brass alloy. The reeds have exceptional durability and unparalleled airtightness. Hohner utilizes milling tools and precision die stamping to manufacture them. Hohner harmonicas have a premium feel to them with the extra plastic comb molded for your comfort.
The Perks of Playing This Harmonica
Hohner has produced harmonicas for nearly 200 years. Therefore, you can be assured that you are playing a high-quality musical instrument.
Hohner harmonicas have a deep and rich sound, with exceptional clarity in the individual notes. You can cover many music genres including blues, jazz, folk, rock, country, pop, R&B and reggae, soul, and funk.
Hohner Special 20 Diatonic HarmonicaBuy on Amazon
The Hohner Special 20 is a natural upgrade if you are a fan of Hohner Harmonicas. This is an incredibly reputable harmonica among those who have put in the hours and learned the technical skills and good habits. Being a bit more expensive, you know it is made from some better materials. This means you won’t see your reeds bending or cracking any time soon, and they certainly won’t show up dull.
This Diatonic Hohner Harmonica is outfitted for playing blues, rock, jazz, funk, soul, or a combination of these music styles. So if this is up your alley, then the Hohner Crossover Diatonic Harmonica is perfect for you.
Hohner Crossover Diatonic HarmonicaBuy on Amazon
Hohner Crossover Diatonic (Key of C) Harmonica is part of the Marine Band series. The marine band has had a lasting impact on popular music since it was introduced into the American market nearly 200 years ago. This series has been pivotal in unleashing the raw emotion of blues, the energy of rock ‘n’ roll, and the spirit of the country.
Hohner decided to design a high-end harmonica that catered to the blues and the styles of music that grew from it. The Hohner Crossover Diatonic harmonica produced a powerful sound that is original and meets the demands of a new generation of professional musicians. If you find yourself playing anything similar to the Style mentioned for the Special 20, then this might be a good fit as well. Of course, the higher price does mean it is another upgrade from the above harmonica, and arguably the best of the three mentioned.
- The harmonica is assembled completely with screws allowing for easy maintenance
- It has improved covers with side vents that are opened up at the back. This design increases stability and allows for greater volume.
- Features a patented comb constructed from sustainable laminated bamboo. The comb facilitates a bright and powerful tone as well as a fast response to eliminate swelling. It is also water repellent and very stable.
- It has rounded edges on the channel openings and reed plates. This allows for greater comfort while playing the harmonica.
- It has a sturdy zipper case that enables the evaporation of moisture and keeps the dust-out
- Features modern compromise tuning. This is for single-note playing and full chord sound in every contemporary style.
- The sound doesn’t fade, no matter how much you play. It is raspy, powerful, and well suited to acoustic and amplified styles.
- Some players may find it to be too expensive
Depending on your experience and budget, any of these three can be phenomenal harmonicas for you.
At then end of the day, both are incredibly reputable brands, and your preference and brand loyalty is going to be the biggest driving factor in which will be best for you. Remember that if this is your first harmonica, don’t go too steep on price. However, if you have already had one or two harmonicas and are looking for an upgrade, a few extra bucks can make a huge difference. There is not a lot of compromise between the price and quality of the instrument you purchase. We know you won’t regret getting a harmonica you will love playing!