Fans of folk, blues, jazz, country and even rock music will know that there is a particular small instrument that many artists use that produces a very beautiful sound. This instrument is known as a harmonica or a French harp.
Many artists use a harmonica to play tunes due to the range of different pitches it can produce in just one instrument. Anyone can play a harmonica regardless of their level in music.
However, since many find harmonicas a good starting instrument for those who want to learn how to play, a lot of varieties and types have now been developed. These selections make it difficult for users to discern which harmonica they should pick, especially if they are just beginning to learn.
This website aims to provide you with a detailed guide on how you can pick your very first harmonica and what to remember when purchasing one. We have also listed some good selections that we believe will work for you or anyone who is just starting.
Before you go to the store to purchase your harmonica, it’s best to know what things you need to look for in a good harmonica.
What to look for in a good harmonica?
When you are looking for a beginner’s harmonica, you need to consider several factors which will help you narrow down your choices.
- Price: For harmonicas, a very good quality beginner harmonica can cost from $35 to $45. There are good cheaper ones for a lower price but their durability may be questionable.
- Brand: There are several good brands you can check out first for their beginner harmonica offerings. Suzuki, Lee Oscar and Hohner are some of the best-known brands of harmonicas.
- Key: Harmonicas can be specialized depending on what key they can play. If you’re just starting, getting a harmonica in the key of C would be a good place to start to learn the basics.
- Ease of use: Some harmonicas are made from a variety of materials which may affect how it is played. Check if the reefs are made from brass, the body is plastic and it has a cover.
- Maintenance: Can you clean your harmonica once you are done? If you do not want to experience rust, pick one which is made from plastic. Some harmonicas can even be cleaned with running water without having to spend tons of time cleaning.
How to choose a good harmonica?
When you have sorted out the things you need in a harmonica, you need to narrow down your choices and pick the best of the selections you have.
Even if one harmonica is similar to the other harmonicas in the market, they may not be the same at all. Here are some of the questions which you can ask when choosing your harmonica.
- What level are you? It is important that new harmonica players start with the key of C first as this will help you learn the theory.
- What type of harmonica are you after? If you are going to stick to pop, blues and folk, a diatonic harmonica is the type you should pick since they are designed to play one key. Chromatic harmonicas enable players to influence the air flow within the harmonica to adhere to the western scale. Tremolos produce echoes that are usually similar to a 12-string guitar when played.
- Will it work well with electronic equipment? Will your harmonica sound well if you use it with a mic?
- Will it work with your budget? The price of a good harmonica for a beginner can be less than $10, but durability may be an issue.
|HDE Silver Swan Diatonic 10 Hole Harmonica||$||4.6/5|
|Hohner Special 20 Harmonica||$$$||4.7/5|
|Fender Blues Deluxe Harmonica||$||4.7/5|
|Hohner 3P1501BX Bluesband Harmonica||$$||4/5|
|Hohner 1501BX Blues Band||$||4.1/5|
|Lee Oskar Harmonica||$$$||4.6/5|
|Hohner Zippered Harmonica Case||$||4.7/5|
|HSSOT Harmonica Key of C||$$||4.4/5|
HDE Silver Swan Diatonic 10 Hole Key of C Blues Harmonica
Do you want to express your emotions – from love to heartaches – in music? Are you a fan of folk and world music?
If so, getting a harmonica would be good for you. However, which harmonica would give you the sound that would reflect your emotions and blow everyone away? Why don’t you check out HDE Silver Swan Diatonic 10 Hole Key of C Blues Harmonica?
Here are the things you will get with every package of Swan’s HDE Silver Swan Diatonic 10 Hole Key of C Blues Harmonica:
- The base and cover plates of the harmonica are made from copper plates while the springs are made from phosphoric copper alloy and the frets are made from resin.
- The logo of the harmonica is printed on the nameplate and it comes with its very own durable carrying case.
- The notes played by this harmonica are those of the key of C.
Aside from the harmonica and the carrying case, you also get an instruction manual where you can learn how to take care of your harmonica and how to play it.
In terms of its sound quality, some remarked it does not make a very loud sound similar to a good quality harmonica. One reviewer said that it was out of tune when they tried it with some sound holes sounding squeaky and others similar to church bells.
Others have commented on the quality of the make of this harmonica as some of them said that some of the parts do not work well and it is made from plastic. There were also comments that this harmonica is hard to play.
When it comes to the sound, users said that it is a good blues harmonica and the sound it makes allows the users to discern properly if they are doing something out of tune.
Players also love the fact that it is easy to clean thanks to its traditional wing-nut design. They also love the fact this harmonica comes with its very own carrying case.
Some also commented that they love the fact the company included an instruction manual to assist new users in how they can use and take care of their harmonica.
Playing a harmonica creates music that soothes the heart of anyone who hears it. This harmonica promises to play music like no other and will help you relax at the same time. This is an investment you won’t want to miss out on.
Hohner Special 20 Harmonica, Major C
Many use harmonicas to learn how to make music because they are easy to learn and maintain. Harmonicas can also play quite a lot of music styles, from blues to rock.
However, with the numerous types and brands of harmonicas in the market, which one delivers that flexible sound and quality? The Hohner Special 20 Harmonica, Major C may be the solution for you.
Check out the specifications of the Hohner Special 20 Harmonica in Major C below:
- This Special 20 Classic features a durable, airtight, plastic comb that ensures that playing this harmonica will be easy. The reed plates are recessed into the injection-moulded plastic comb to help produce a sound faster.
- The rounded covers without side vents give a powerful and warm tone that is perfect for rock, blues and country players.
- The harmonica is sure to play a rich chord sound with its 20 classic reeds thanks to its traditional Hohner tuning.
- Users will also get a classic case to keep the harmonica safe when traveling.
Users said that the harmonica is not well-assembled as they found the cover plates were not screwed on properly and some were misaligned. As a result of these misaligned parts, the sounds were offbeat when they started playing the harmonica.
Its durability has also been put into question as some have reported that they only used the harmonica for a few weeks before it completely broke.
The durability and assembly quality of this harmonica is undeniable as users saw no problems with the assembly of this harmonica.
They also said that it is very easy to clean since it has a plastic and metal construction, allowing them to clean this easily with running water. Users have also said that it is very easy to play as one only has to inhale and exhale without much effort for it to produce a sound.
The sound it produces is also very clear and crisp, allowing users to try blending the music styles they want to try, from blues to rock. Users have also said that for its cheap price, its actually quite a bargain.
If you want to play a song like a pro using a harmonica, you need to have a harmonica that will deliver the sound necessary to match your song. The Hohner Special is a favorite among many professionals, promising users that this is a harmonica that will deliver the emotions you want to convey in your music.
Fender Blues Deluxe Harmonica, Key of C
Harmonicas are well-known for their versatility, allowing any type of player to play this instrument in any music style. Since it is pretty small, it can be brought anywhere. However, if you are looking for a harmonica that is easy to play and made from top-quality materials, why not check out Fender Blues Deluxe Harmonica, Key of C?
What will you get if you buy yourself a Fender Blues Deluxe Harmonica, Key of C as your first harmonica? Here are some of the instrument’s main features:
- This harmonica plays in the key of C
- It promises to be usable for players of all levels, whether they be beginners or advanced players.
- The molded PVC comb and brass reeds ensure that it plays a classic tone and pitch that is easy-on-the-ear for players and listeners.
- It also comes in a traditional shape and chromed metal covers which ensure that it is comfortable to play and easy to use.
It comes with a vented hard plastic case so users can store their harmonica safely when they are not playing it.
Users said that the sounds produced by this harmonica are not very strong and bright. It also needs to be blown hard before it can reach the volume users want, but this is easier than with several other brands.
One reviewer reported that the phosphorous reeds were very scratched and grooved, which should not have been the case if it was brand new. Another user reported that their harmonica did not play any notes at all no matter how hard they blew, despite it being brand new.
Buyers and current users said that they found the harmonica to be perfect since it was well-built. It also felt comfortable, especially for beginners.
While the sound is not very loud, it was not out of tune and the sound was also very clear and crisp for the ears. Others said that it was very easy to clean and well-packaged when they have received it.
Satisfied users have also said that this harmonica is very affordable and plays very well despite the low price.
Fender has been of the major names in the music industry for decades and delivers quality musical instruments and accessories in the market.
For their harmonicas, the Fender Blues Deluxe Harmonica is versatile in a way most other harmonicas aren’t, and will let you get playing without having to pay huge amounts.
Hohner 3P1501BX Bluesband Harmonica, Pro Pack, Keys of C, G, and A Major
If you are looking for a harmonica pack that will help you get the other keys and not cost a lot of money, check out the Hohner 3P1501BX Bluesband Harmonica, Pro Pack.
Here are some of the things you will receive if you buy yourself a Hohner 3P1501BX Bluesband Harmonica, Pro Pack, Keys of C, G, and A Major.
- Each pack will have three harmonicas for keys of G, A and C
- All three have molded plastic bodies, enabling users to play them without problems.
- It also has stainless steel covers with the label of the harmonica on top.
- The reeds of this harmonica are made from brass
Buyers have said that the assembly of these harmonicas in the pack was not properly done as there were defective holes in them, disabling them to produce any sound or produce a high pitch and off-key.
One reported that half of the reeds in his harmonica did not make any sound at all except the sound one made by blowing air into them.
Another said that one of his harmonicas works, but the other two do not. They recommended that others get a better harmonica for the price of this value set.
Satisfied users have stressed that this harmonica is well-made and they did not see any flaws in the harmonicas’ functions. Users said that they found it very easy to bend notes with this harmonica and learn how to play each note.
It is also very comfortable to the lips, ensuring that users can play it without problems. The harmonica also sounded great and not out of tune. The customer service is also good: when one reviewer asked for a replacement they received one almost immediately. They also love the fact that this set comes with free lessons which can be accessed online, allowing the users to study and learn how to properly use it.
When it comes to playing blues, rock, country, and folk, you have to have the right tools for the job. The Hohner 3P1501BX Bluesband Harmonica, Pro Pack, Keys of C, G and A will would help you do just that without having to shell out money getting individual pieces.
Hohner 1501BX Blues Band, Harmonica C
When you want to play the blues, rock, country and folk for the first time, you need to get a harmonica that is properly tuned so you can play in the prominent key for each music type. If you are looking for a good harmonica in the key of C, Hohner 1501BX Blues Band could be the harmonica for you.
Here is the list of specifications you will get if you purchase your very own Hohner 1501BX Blues Harmonica:
- It comes with solid brass reed plates.
- It also has a stainless steel coverplate and a plastic body.
- Free online lessons are also available for this harmonica for beginner users.
Some buyers reported that it is poorly assembled as some of the reeds either took a lot of effort to play or would not play at all. If they did play, it would produce an out of tune note.
The poor assembly also affected the quality and durability of this instrument and some said that the harmonica broke almost immediately after they used it. They also reported air gaps in the harmonica.
Buyers said that this harmonica is good as a child’s toy rather than a quality harmonica for beginners given its various flaws.
In terms of its quality and assembly, many users said that they were impressed with its make. It felt like the Hohner Special 20 in terms of how it felt in the hand and the parts are similar since it comes with a black plastic comb, stainless steel covers and brass reed plates.
The sound is also very good and it sounds like the Hohner 20 Special or a quality harmonica that would be worth more than this harmonica. Some also added that it is very versatile, allowing users to play blues, rock and folk once they get used to it.
Beginners also said that they like the fact the reeds are numbered so they know which part they need to play. Also, it has an instruction manual for maintenance which includes information on how to learn chords.
As one of the most notable brands of harmonicas in the market, Hohner promises that any harmonica they make is top class. For beginners, the Hohner 1501BX Blues Band Harmonica in Key of C promises to help you learn your favorite music pieces with ease.